If you want to try your hand at creating your own website here are my DIY WordPress Recommendations for 2020. I offer 1 on 1 website development and digital marketing coaching. The products I mention in this blog are some of those I use myself but they are students preferred options.
There is a lot of fantastic Covid-19 deals on at the moment so you can save a bundle
WordPress.org (not to be confused with WordPress.com) is an open source content management software (CMS) that currently powers over 35% of all websites on the Internet.
The WordPress.org Community is contributed to by thousands of developers all over the world and is growing from strength to strength. WordPress allows you to develop flexible and customisable websites with Google best practises so its the best choice for SEO if that’s something that interests you.
Whilst WordPress has the steepest learning curve of all the Website systems, I promise its worth it.
The Benefits of Using WordPress
- Search Engines love WordPress
- You have control of your site and content
- The design and functionality of your website is 100% customisable and scalable
- You can manage your site anywhere from a computer, tablet or mobile phone
If you want to create something, you can, there are no limitations to what you can have on your website and as you own the site and the content
Owning your own website is the only way to be assured of having a virtual home and brand long term.
With this annoying pandemic, the future of many things is unclear. What will happen with Escort Directories? Some may disappear…
Social media is doing their best to keep sex workers either off their platforms or hidden from view with shadowbanning.
Online platforms may own content, having your own Membership site is a way of keeping full control
The WordPress community is thousands of web developers sharing their themes, plugins and widgets and using WordPress allows you to tap into this collective intelligence and create your ideas and dreams.
So many choices can be a blessing and a curse, if you don’t research and make choices on the fly it can impact your website’s performance & UX greatly.
Slow WordPress Websites are often due to poor quality hosting, badly coded themes and excessive use of plugins or use of poor performing plugins.
I wrote a blog on website builders last year if you want to see my comparison of Wix vs Squarespace vs WordPress
DIY WordPress Hosting
DIY WordPress Themes
If you go with Siteground Hosting, there are starter sites to help get you online fast. If you bought hosting now, you could have your own site up by tomorrow 🙂
If you choose another hosting company, once you have installed WordPress, in the Themes area there are 100s of Free Theme Options.
Its can be hard to know which theme to choose. I have been developing in WordPress for years and regularly tutor students in WordPress. One of the themes that everyone seems to find the easiest to use is OceanWP
There are 1000s of free themes but not all themes are good. Stay clear of places like ThemeForest Marketplace as there are many untested and terribly coded themes and that is the last thing you want
WordPress Themes are primarily freemium. OceanWP a lightweight theme with a huge amount of functionality and quality coding (important for SEO) – There is a free version that includes most of what you need, social links, form etc. The paid version has some excellent additions such as the Instagram feed plugin & sticky header
Add Some Pretty Things
Recommended Paid Plugins
Recommended Free Plugins
- Yoast SEO Plugin – The most popular SEO plugin. Yoast has excellent tutorials and courses too. Will Yoast shoot your site to page 1 for all the keywords you want? No, but it handles a lot of things for you need for SEO such as XML sitemap, Meta data etc.
- WP Forms – easy to use, lightweight, drop & drag form builder. Better than Contact 7 which can create bloat & lower your site performance
- Akismet Anti-Spam the best plugin to combat spam
- Loginizer helps you fight against brute force attack by blocking login for the IP after it reaches maximum retries allowed
- Email Subscribers & Newsletters by Icegram – Automatically post to all email subscribers when I add a new post plus you can broadcast a newsletter to your subscribers
- Google Analytics Dashboard for WP (GADWP) – An easy plugin to attach Google Analytics to your site
- Duplicate Page: Does exactly it says, duplicates the page or post so you can keep your layouts consistent
- Imagify: The best Image Optimiser on the market
DIY WordPress SEO
I hope you found this blog helpful
Until Next Time
Keep in Touch
Sign up to Sarahs2cents News
You will hear from me every fortnight with notifications of new blogs, freebies and promotions. I am not a spammer, I promise
I want to help you grow your Escort business with Tools, Tips and Resources. I enjoy sharing the knowledge I have gained in over 20 years working in the Escort Industry