Wix has become very well known due to is large marketing budget using celebrities to promote their service. They are the only web builder that I know of who has run ads during the Super Bowl. They did ads staring Karlie Kloss, Jason Statham and Gal Gadot
Karlie Kloss shows in this ad how easy Wix is to use and yes, its that easy!
Let me start by saying I don’t hate Wix, if I could do my work using it, I would, but unfortunately, I can’t.
My Wix Test
I haven’t used Wix for about 6 months so I went it today to play around today and I have to say WOW!
In under 20 minutes, I was able to sign up to Wix (using my google sign) the use the Wix ADI to build me a site. I didn’t I particularly like the site it gave me but it was a full website!
Using Wix Artificial Design Intelligence (ADI)
- It asked me the type of site I wanted; I chose Web Development Agency’
- I was asked about some features; I chose chat, blog, bookings, Store, Video & Events
- I typed my business name:
- Then gave a link to my existing website: www.agencyatlantic.com
- I gave my social media links
- A few more clicks then presto
- I have a website ready to copy and paste my content into.
The last time I used Wix was about 6 months ago even without the ADI option I was able to build a site in under an hour. It’s a fantastic platform for a personal website, a little online store or a small local business who needs an online presence.
5 good things about Wix
- It’s easy to use and great for people who are technically challenged
- It has nice templates
- You can create and launch a website in a day
- No need to worry about upgrades, hosting or backups
- Set Monthly Pricing
Wix Monthly Pricing
Free – Shows ads and you can’t use your own domain
$10 – 2GB bandwidth, 3MB storage, a domain and no ads
$14 – Up to 10MB storage + a domain and other inclusions
$19 – Up to 20MB storage + lot of inclusions
$27 – Up to 20MB storage + 2hrs video + VIP support, calendar and other apps
Ecommerce sites start at $18 a month
Compare price of Wix to Sarahs2cents
Cost to run Sarahs2cents.com
- VPS hosting + CDN + SMTP – $17 per month – I use cloudways
- Newsletter plugin + mail service to send transactional emails – $20 per month
- Astra Pro theme + assorted plugins – aprox $150 per year.
- Then there is the annual cost of the domain + I spend a few hours per month of site maintenance, upgrades etc.
Whilst Wix would save me some time and money, I would lose out in other areas.
Reasons I don’t use Wix
Some little annoyances:
- You can’t switch templates after the site is live.
- The cost of third party apps add up and can make a Wix site quite costly to scale
- AMP functionality is only available.
- Sites display correctly on a mobile device but are not fully responsive. This affects SEO so its a big reason for me but not for everyone.
Those I can live without but Wix doesn’t allow you access to your website code, change or access the CSS files, or export your website to another provider.
Lack of Customisation
I hate being restricted when I design and develop websites. I like to be able to do whatever I wish for my own sites and for my client’s. Automation and integration with other services, online course, membership site, online store, the list is endless of what clients require.
I can do everything I ever need with one of the 55,000 WordPress plugins, research, imagination and custom code.
No Export or Migration
I do a lot of migrations to WordPress as client outgrow DIY platforms. Many budget-friendly DIY platforms make it hard to leave, Wix is the same as many others in this respect. You can’t export any of the files so the only way to migrate is to recreate the entire site structure and then copy and paste into the new site build.
Copying and pasting the content from 1 site to another is fine if its only 5 pages but for 50 blogs its a nightmare!
No advanced SEO
This is my top reason for not using Wix
For SEO, it has serious flaws and its not possible to do advanced SEO
There is server access nor access to files such as robots.txt or .htacess.
Wix has an SEO wizard which is great for beginners to help them add a few on-page SEO page basics such as add meta, alt text and edit urls.
Wix tried to change public persepcton last year when they ran an SEO battle.
It was a fun publicity stunt but it doesn’t change the fact that Wix and SEO are not friends.
If you want to read the winner’s case study on how they won, check out:
To rank a website on google organic search in 2020, you need access to your entire website and not be held back by the restrictions of a site builder platform.
Why you shouldn’t use Wix for Escort Websites
They cover themselves and make sure you are aware they will hand over your personal details if they are asked to by a government body.
In their terms of Service Wix states:
Wix does not recommend the use of the Wix Services for hosting of personal content and shall not bear any security or integrity obligations or risks regarding breach or damage to any such content.
This article shares details of escort sites who have had their sites removed due to terms of service violations
Sex workers say Wix is shutting down their websiteswww.dailydot.com
If you decide to go with Wix make you always keep a backup of your site content in case the site is removed then you can recreate it. I wrote an article recently on what to do if your website disappears
I hope you found this blog on why I do not recommend Wix for Escort Websites helpful
Until next time